Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thematic Photographic 6: "Light" v.3.0 - One Last Shot


"Wind and Water"
Carolina Beach, NC - August 2002

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

"Sunlight and Evergreen"
Mt. Mitchell, NC - August 2002

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

In the course of trying to bring order to my Picasa account, I came across the first shot which I took at Carolina Beach in August of 2002. I don't remember the exact chain of circumstances that led to me taking this shot, but I've always thought the play of light on water is fascinating. so it's little wonder that it wound up here.

When Carmi asked for backlit shots I didn't immediately think about this one. Though I'm not sure why because it's one of my favorites. Unlike the beach shot above, I remember the circumstances surrounding this shot very distinctly. It was February, at the summit of the highest mountain east of the Mississippi river. Which is arguably the coldest and windiest place in the Eastern US on some days. On this particular day you'd have gotten absolutely no argument from me on that point because I had left my ski jacket at the cabin and was wearing little more than a heavy shirt under a hoodie, and a photography vest (which has no insulation). In other words, I was so not dressed for this hike. But I managed to find a hollow that could at least shelter me from the wind, and it was from there that I got this shot of the sunlight filtering through the native short needle white pine or possibly blue spruce (it's hard to tell from this shot). Both are indigenous to the area.


Stumble This!

2 comments:

smarmoofus said...

That water is so clear... I love the way the light dances in it. I can see why you photographed it.

Now, now... you should be careful when shooting toward the sun. I know someone whose camera melted down after photographing a sunset.

*wink*
-smarmoofus

Mojo said...

I'm thinking that water was only a couple of inches deep and was the last gasp of a wave as it reached its highest point on land (or it may have already been receding -- hard to tell). That would account for the clarity I guess.

And I was being careful when I took the second shot. Fortunately my A2 had a much sturdier constitution (and much faster max shutter speed) than my Rebel did. Plus I was using the branches to "filter".