Tuesday, December 02, 2008

That's My World Tuesday #7: Downtown Backbone


"Downtown Backbone - Horizontal"
Raleigh, NC - August 2008 (Click to embiggen)

Be a virtual tour guide on That's My World Tuesday

"Downtown Backbone - Vertical"
Raleigh, NC - August 2008 (Click to embiggen)

Be a virtual tour guide on That's My World Tuesday

This is what I call the "downtown backbone". It seems that most of the city's tallest buildings follow a strip about 2 blocks wide bounded by Salisbury Street on the west and Blount Street on the east. Yes, there are other multistory buildings in town, but there seems to be a concentration of them in this area, and the city's tallest buildings all seem to be in this relatively small area. The tallest building you see (the mirrored one that extends out of the frame) is the new RBC Bank building, which probably claims the title as Raleigh's tallest. The building it replaces for that honor you can see reflected in the glass and is currently inhabited by Wachovia (soon to be...?) On the left you see the Progress Energy building (the electric utility for Raleigh and most points east). The rest I can't readily identify from memory, though I believe the white building directly behind the shiny new one is the former headquarters for RBC Bank when it was still RBC Centura.

Both shots were taken from the top floor of the parking garage at Moore Square and offer the same view with a different crop.


Stumble This!

25 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I guess I never realized Raleigh is so big!

Anonymous said...

I like that term, downtown backbone. Those are pretty tall buildings too.

Thanks for the new info.

Susan at Stony River said...

Beautiful city shots, I love these! I like the blend of traditional brick and bright shiny glass.

That's a parking garage with a beautiful view. Thanks for sharing it!

Sylvia K said...

Beautiful shots of Raleigh! I like the term "downtown backbone" too! Thanks for sharing!

Carver said...

Great shots from downtown. Looking at this I realize how different my downtown Raleigh shots are from yours. It would have made sense to collaborate as you suggested at one point. Although it's also fun to see how different our posts are since I went with local produce this time.

imac said...

My, what large buildings.

Daryl said...

It more embiggened that I thought it would be

:-Daryl

Anonymous said...

Nice photos of your world - I like the way you captured the building reflected in another building.

Doctor Err said...

what i really like... are the little small older brick buildings wedged in between the shiny newer tall ones.

Anonymous said...

Cool city shots.

SandyCarlson said...

That's quite a beautiful view. What a great city.

Unknown said...

wow, your world is full of concrete.

judi/Gmj said...

I like this but now I want to see it at night! Great sky line.

Jane Hards Photography said...

Going from a city to an island I noticed we don't really have a dowtown. In some ways I miss them. Great overviews.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

good shots of downtown...like the reflections...

Unknown said...

Great shots od downtown Raleigh, which I never realised was so big!

Lilli & Nevada said...

Wow those buildings are big and beautiful. love the reflections as well. Thanks for the tour of Raleigh its beautiful

Indrani said...

Those are quite huge, your city is a big one. Great shots!

magiceye said...

all that steel and glass adds glamour too!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mojo: What a neat look at downtown Raleigh. Those are great looking buildings.

??? said...

Downtown backbone is a good phrase :) Great photos.

D Herrod said...

Very cool buildings.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

wow interesting city sights!
Love the reflection on the mirror looking building!

Marites said...

i like the glass building. I imagine that Raleigh is big. my world is here here

Anonymous said...

i love glass buildings :)
thanks for this post !!