Sunday, December 14, 2008

Thematic Photographic 28: "Bright" v.4.0 Contrast Study


"Contrast Study"
Raleigh, NC - December 2008 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

The obvious inspiration for the title of this shot is the contrast between bright and dark. The not-as-obvious inspiration, is only obvious to me. When I saw this tree on the lawn (Salisbury Street side) of the State Capitol Building, my first impression was that the way these lights were strung reminded me of the camouflage netting we used to use in the army. I guess since the tree shares the grounds of Capitol Square with a half dozen or so memorials to fallen soldiers, that analogy might not be entirely inappropriate though.
Stumble This!

4 comments:

Dianne said...

it does look like netting, I wonder if they just pour it over the top of the tree

a beautiful shot, love the warm lights highlighting the building

you capture light so perfectly

Happy Sunday

carmilevy said...

The shape struck me as soon as I first saw the picture, so I'm glad you shared the additional background. Definitely adds a tinge of poignancy. OK, more than a tinge.

Even if whoever laid everything out didn't intend for that to be the case, what matters is that YOU interpreted it as such. And it was cool seeing the moment through your eyes.

Kimmie said...

I think the photo is soft and the lighting perfect. The Christmas tree looks lovely just the way it is...in this case whatever type of lights they used they did a very good job of placing them. The whole look of this photo draws me in and makes me want to be there physically to admire it. :-)

Beautifully done.

AGK said...

You did a great job!