Monday, January 26, 2009

Blue Monday #18: U-352


"Bet they don't make that mistake again!"
Pine Knoll Shores, NC - October 2008 (Click to embiggen)

 Hosted by Smiling Sally

The U-352 holds the dubious distinction of being the first German U-Boat sunk by the U.S. Coast Guard off the coast of North Carolina. May 9, 1942 the U-352 made the ill-considered decision of firing on the USCG cutter Icarus... and missed. Turned out to be a bad move, because the cutter's depth charges did enough damage to force the German ship to surface and surrender. The surviving crew was taken into custody and the boat was scuttled. The U-352 is one of three U-Boats accessible to sport divers off the North Carolina coast.No, this isn't the actual U-352, it's a 1/3 scale replica housed in the main tank at the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. The reproduction is so faithful in detail that I finally had to ask just to be sure I wasn't looking at a real chunk of German submarine.
Stumble This!

12 comments:

Shadow said...

subs scare me. or rather, it's that pinging noise that's so freightening. watched too many movies i gather... nice shot though!

snowelf said...

Yea, I'm thinking they won't be doing that again too. ;)

--snow

jlshall said...

Wow, it's really hard to believe that's just a replica! Very impressive photo. And great for Blue Monday!

SmilingSally said...

Oooo, the idea of an enemy submarine just offshore gives me the shudders. Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Unknown said...

Even at 1/3rd scale I bet it's still pretty good size! I love blue fishies. :)

Jeanne said...

Hi Mojo, that is an interesting bit of history. Your photo is so good and I had to try to remember is wasn't the real thing Great blue!

Hugs...Jeanne

Julie said...

I really like the shot, I would not be able to do the submarine thing, gives me the chills.

C'est moi Claudette said...

Very interesting but scary also.
I will have to tell my friend Doborah. She lives in N.C.
Well I learned something new today Mojo.
Happy Blue Monday
Claudie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Well, you coulda fooled me! Neat picture there, Mojo. Here's wishing you...

Happy Blue Monday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

wow! Interesting but the thought of some enemy off shore, really bothers me.
Enjoy your day!

CC said...

What a photo!! and how scarey. I learned something new again today..
Hope your Blue Monday is a great one..

Sweetie said...

It really does look like the real thing - frightening! It is a great photo. Happy Blue Monday!
Sweetie