Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Janamdin ki Badhai Urmila, Meri Sapna ki Rani


Odds are that Urmila Matondkar herself won't ever read this birthday wish. But for those of you
who have wondered, she's the one responsible for my case of Indophilia. Of all Bollywood's beautiful, talented actresses -- and there are many -- I'll always reserve my softest corner for Urmila, because she was my first. (Oh stop.) She's the one that introduced me to Indian cinema and by extension, India herself. One virtually accidental purchase from a discount DVD bin started a chain of events that effectively changed my entire world view. That's a long story that perhaps I'll tell here one day.

But not today. Today is for celebrating the woman who sparked the story and wishing her hameshaa sab khushi ("all happiness always"... I hope!). I had a tough time choosing a clip from the bounty that is YouTube, but finally settled on a number from one of my favorite films of hers, Pinjar. In addition to being a fantastic work of cinema, Pinjar has also provided a lot of the background for the 55 Flash Fiction series I've been running since last August. But not to worry, this clip happens early in the film before life gets tough for the heroine. If you want to know the rest of the story, you'll have to watch it for yourself.



Happy Birthday Urmila, and many, many more.

जनमढीन की बधाई उरमिला!

Stumble This!

7 comments:

FH said...

What?! You like her of all the actresses in Bollywood? :D

I always found her acting very theatrical in most films but she was great in Pinjar though, she should do more films like that one. She is pretty. Happy birthday to her! :)

"Chamma Chamma" to you too!

Mona said...

Yaaay!

Happy Birthday to Mojo's Urmilla*Swoon*!!

I just came in from watching late night show of a new movie named Luck By Chance! Its all about Bollywood & I rate it as 4&1/2 star ! Wonderful movie worth a watch!

( Ps. It is supposed to be Sapnon Ki Rani ; Sapna is dream, Sapnon is dreams! :))

FH said...

Guess what? I switched on the B4U channel just now and I see Urmila Matondkar in a movie called "Ek hasina thi". Talk about coincidence. I think I will watch it, looks like a good movie, not the usual Bollywood plot! :)

me said...

This was a sweet post, who would have thought you had it in ya...
;-P

tiff said...

Not being at all familiar with India's cinematic output, I rely on you to show me around. Thoroughly enjoyed that clip!

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

She's gorgeous, and what a wow of a smile. No wonder you're smitten. :)

Shadow said...

she is indeed beautiful. and the picture very seductive indeed...