Sunday, February 15, 2009

Thematic Photographic 36: "Up" v.3.0 - A Spire to Greatness


"Bank and Bokeh"
Raleigh, NC - December 2008 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

When Carmi posted his first shot for this week's Thematic Photographic he chose a glass building in Canada's largest city. Taking a cue from that, I decided to use this shot of the largest building in my city, which happens to be the headquarters of Canada's RBC Bank (a little redundant since "RBC" stands for "Royal Bank of Canada".

In another bit of synchronicity, Carmi mentioned the strange looks he got as he aimed his point and shoot backup camera at the achingly bright reflections off the building. I got some of those same looks getting this shot. You'd think people had never seen a guy double park and jump out with a tripod and do ... things ... that would make a contortionist wince. Such sheltered lives these people must lead.Violence Unsilenced


Stumble This!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Very pretty! I'm glad you braved the weird looks. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice night image, Mojo. I need to get downtown at night and experiment with these types of shots. As far as the strange looks, I get more of those when I show up at Pullen Park with my camera from all the parents. Even though my camera is never pointed at kids unless I ask permission...which I never do because I don't have the nerve.

Unknown said...

I wonder if they think you're terrorists...

I wonder what it's like at the very top; where it's all lit up. Looks sort of romantic. Like a Sleepless in Seattle type setting. I know the stats are different, but I'll bet you know what I mean.

Best,
Gina

SandyCarlson said...

Some people are sooo sheltered. They have no idea of what they missed and what you got. This is delightful.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

THAT is a neat shot, Mojo!

Hope you''ve had a great weekend...

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

very cool shot! Lighting especially.
ah yes, the looks we get when photographing...
>>>eyes open wide @ synchronicity.

carmilevy said...

I think folks in our respective towns really ought to get out more. They might learn something from arm-flailing photos like us :)

OK, here's another bit of synchronicity for you: the glass building that I shot in my original entry? The Royal Bank Building.

That is SO cool...Sometimes I swear we must have been separated at birth!

magiceye said...

this is lovely!

Shadow said...

this looks like the building tom cruise broke into in some or other movie, from a helicopter...

Daryl said...

Really good perspective ...

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

This is an inspirational snap. Love the lighting on the building and the angle at which you shot it. Architecture, doors and gates...love 'em! :)