Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thematic Photographic 47: Music v.1.0


"Now that's an organ!"
Greensboro, NC - April 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

This week Thematic Photographic looks at "Music". I know what you're thinking. How do you "look" at music? Believe me, if you stop and think about the number and variety of ways music enters our lives on a daily basis you'll have no problems coming up with material for this theme. In fact, I wonder if a week is nearly enough time.

I'm fortunate enough to have a musically gifted son. He's currently majoring in Music Education at UNC-Greensboro and even though he's not a Performance major, he still has recitals and performances he's required to do. Recently the Saxophone Studio held an informal recital (I assume it's a warmup for the final one they'll do for a grade) in the new Music Building at UNC-G. This is the Organ Hall, a small recital hall with a big organ in it. I can only imagine how easily this rather intimidating instrument can fill up this space with sound.

I say I can only imagine, because this wasn't an organ recital so there wasn't a chance to verify my hypothesis. But the room is nearly acoustically perfect despite all the hard surfaces inside. Perhaps just a bit too acoustically perfect, because despite its relatively quiet shutter, I dared not take more than a few shots of each performer because the click of the mirror moving sounded like a gunshot in that room.Violence UnSilenced


Stumble This!

15 comments:

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

Sometimes size matters.

Just sayin'

david mcmahon said...

If music be the food of memes, play on.

(Sorry Mr Shakespeare!)

tiff said...

Oooh, that's purty!

Dr.John said...

I knew a lady who could have made that organ come to life.

PastormacsAnn said...

Would love to hear it played.

Should be a great week of photos with the musical theme!

Anonymous said...

Boy you left yourself kinda open posting an organ ThAt BiG but I like the effect the lighting gives it, it seems kind of ominous. The wood work looks rich and lovely I'll bet the whole piece sound nice and Throaty! (ha ha)
mine is here
http://aguthrieimages.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/thematic-photograph-47-musical-last-number/

Shey said...

WOW! That's quite impressive! Almost similar to the bamboo organ I've seen in the Phils. Absolutely beautiful!

I'm happy for you, that your son is into music. It's one of the greatest medium of communication that all people are drawn to and can understand.

True, I agree: I would take gazillions of pictures of the performers too. Multi-tasking for shutterbugs.

:)


Brother Wind’s Voice

bobbie said...

I so agree. Your organ is magnificent. I also love the listeners' expressions as they hear the music.

Glennis said...

Wowee!! Now that's big!!! Great photo and great take on the theme!

Pamela said...

there is a church in our community that has a huge pipe organ. They swallow the musician ----

michellethea said...

that's huge! i could imagine my heart pounding when it's played. :)

Old Piano

awareness said...

There's nothing more impressive than sound of an organ except witnessing the size first hand. :)

Well...perhaps enjoying the sax.

awareness said...

There's nothing more impressive than sound of an organ except witnessing the size first hand. :)

Well...perhaps enjoying the sax.

Susan English Mason said...

Congrats on POTD!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Mojo, congrats on your nod at David's blog!!!

Yea!

Sheila :-)