Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Thematic Photographic 50: "Signs" v.7.0


"What Budget Crisis?"
Raleigh, NC - May, 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

I really shouldn't get honked off about these new signs the city of Raleigh put up recently. For a couple of reasons. First because this was probably a line item in the budget dating back to pre-recession times and second because it's the city's budget, not the state's that it came out of. meaning that the 0.5% pay cut we state employees just had to eat wasn't brought about by new signage for the touristas. Still, with the state budget being in the shape it's in, I can't imagine that the city is any better off and it kinda bugs me to see them spend what these must have cost when the surface of Hillsboro Street resembles a Belgian waffle more and more every day. Priorities people... come on.Violence UnSilenced
Stumble This!

2 comments:

carmilevy said...

The city where I grew up went through at least four generations of street sign designs in the couple of decades that I lived there. It amazed me that they'd spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to change Every Single Sign because someone decided the old color scheme was no longer modern. Seriously, that was the excuse they used.

I suppose I could accept the occasional addition - a few net new signs to help tourists or otherwise improve flow - but rip and replace in the manner of buying a new wardrobe? That's just blatant.

On the bright side, I won't get lost when I visit Raleigh for the first time :)

Daryl said...

Looks like they are planning ahead.. there's room for at least two more 'this way's