Monday, July 20, 2009

Thematic Photographic 58: "Odd" v.6.0


"Sometimes There's Nothing Left To Say"
Raleigh, NC - March 2007 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

Fans of the (NHL) Carolina Hurricanes are called "Caniacs" -- and there's a reason. I can only offer educated speculation on the meaning of some of this human grafitti. The "Rosie Rocks" refers to (and fittingly so) Canes winger Chad LaRose. The "Wide Starboard", I can only surmise has something to do with the cries of "Wide Right!" that were so frequently heard during the 2006 Eastern Conference Final when the Canes defeated the Buffalo Sabres in seven games on their way to winning the Stanley Cup. That reference was -- if I understand correctly -- aimed at a missed field goal that would have won the Buffalo Bills their first Super Bowl crown. The Halloween Pirate regalia, I have to assume is a reference to the Canes opponent on that day; the San Jose Sharks. But how pirates and sharks go together (other than perhaps walking the plank) I've yet to figure out. The Sharks should have brought a bigger boat though, as the Canes outlasted them 6-4.
Stumble This!

2 comments:

annalarssonphotography said...

I'm not so in to hockey.. But this shot is just great!
And you made me laugh load :)

Unknown said...

This is perfect! I love the gal cracking up next to the stomach! Love this shot!!