Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thematic Photographic 63: "Big" v.4.0 - "Big Bird"


"Helga"
Raleigh, NC - January 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

This is Helga, an extraordinarily large female red-tailed hawk. I know her name, and that's she's extraordinarily large because I was there when she was released back into the wild after being treated for a badly broken wing at the Raptor Center in Charlotte. Apparently they had to use the largest ID band they had for hawks to tag her. You don't get the sense of scale here that you would if you'd seen her in the flesh... er... feathers, but her wingspan was roughly 4 feet (about 1.3 meters for those of you in most of the world). One very big bird, and, for me, one very big thrill to see this happen.
Stumble This!

6 comments:

plainolebob said...

4ft.? wow, hawks are so much fun to watch, both fly and the dive they make after their prey

Peggy Payne said...

There's flesh underneath those feathers, I'll bet.

I live out in the country in Chatham County, NC, and we see some big birds: hawks, owls, herons. I haven't gotten the least bit jaded. It's the same thrill every time. My husband Bob and I refer to it as "having a nature experience."

Robin said...

One whopper of a shot, too. Look at that gorgeous crisp detail on those feathers. That was NOT an easy shot to get.

Daryl said...

NICE!

I hope his GPS is working

annalarssonphotography said...

Beautiful free Helga

carmilevy said...

Breathtaking. How DO you freeze moments like this?