Friday, September 11, 2009

Thematic Photographic 66: "Shiny" v.2.0 - The Horn's Been Shinier, But Not The Music


"Tenor Madness"
Clayton, NC - July 2004 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

This tenor sax belongs to "Zip" Irvin whom you've probably never heard of unless you live around here. Like most local jazz players, Zip gigs with several bands including two that frequent The Flip Side in Clayton. And it was one of those two that gave my son his first chance to shine in a non-scholastic environment. We'd gone to see them play one Saturday night and I convinced him to bring his sax along "just in case" he had a chance to sit in. ('Cause jazz players are good like that.) About 3 songs into the first set, I decided I hadn't heard them play anything he couldn't handle and went back to the car to retrieve his horn. Almost as soon as I walked back in with it, they asked me if I wanted to sit in (which is funny considering I can't play anything but the stereo). After straightening out the case of mistaken identity, Zip actually sat out a song and let Bryan take the lead on Sonny Rollins' "Oleo" to as thunderous an ovation as a crowd that small can muster. And later, they brought him back for an alto sax version of the Sonny Rollins-John Coltrane duet "Tenor Madness". It was just business as usual for the band, but for a 16-year-old sax up-and-coming player, it was an experience. And yeah, it was an experience for said sax player's dad too.
Stumble This!

5 comments:

ArtistUnplugged said...

What a neat little story, cool shot!

me said...

WAY cool daddy o! Brought a smile to my face, and dreams of my baby.

nice photo too!

The Bumbles said...

Your stereo comment cracked me up. You're one proud papa - I wish more parents were as supportive as you in their child's talents.

Anonymous said...

I like this one too but the jag is awesome. Do you play Mojo or is this someone else's very cool shot!
Please see mine here
http://www.moorebloglife.com/2009/09/11/shiny-2-0/

carmilevy said...

The sense of giving and community within the jazz world never ceases to amaze and inspire me. Mr. Irvin and his confreres are heroes, and this experience is clearly one your son will never forget - and one that reinforced his life in ways he's still discovering.