Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thematic Photographic 80: "Abstract" v.6.0 Abstract Lighting


"Red Kryptonite"
Raleigh, NC - April 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

It's shots like this one that cause me to do most of my macro work alone, away from inquisitive bystanders. Because setting this shot up would have taken twice as long if I'd had to keep fielding the WTF questions. And honestly, it didn't work out quite the way I planned it, but it's close. I was going for the red glowing dilithium crystal look, and if there had been just a bit more definition in the crystals I was using I might have pulled it off. Or perhaps if they'd been more transparent. Whatever. What you're looking at are Halite crystals (yes, the kind you use to de-ice your driveway) sitting on top of a glass plate which is in turn sitting on top of a gooseneck desk lamp with the shade turned up and fitted with a red light bulb. Oh, and a couple of strands of Tonka hair that I didn't see, just for accent.
Stumble This!

3 comments:

Robin said...

You certainly earn your images honestly - what a setup. I love the glow and reflection, and never would have noticed the dog hair if you wouldn't have pointed it out.

Maude Lynn said...

Wow!

carmilevy said...

Thank you not only for the picture - masterfully freaky and resonant - but for the picture of the creative process. That's what I carry with me when I head out - also alone - on similar close-in quests.