Thursday, January 07, 2010

Thematic Photographic 83: "What I Did On My Vacation" v.1.0 - Surf City New Year's Eve


"Reflecting on 2009"
Surf City, NC - December 2009(Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

This week Thematic Photographic asks the time honored question, "So what did you do on your vacation?" And as luck would have it, I can actually answer that question this year. Sort of. I didn't exactly take a whole vacation... all at once I mean. I took a manufactured long weekend in July and another one between Christmas and New Year's -- both at Topsail Island, my new favorite beach. I've had photos of this part of Surf City where the labyrinth of boardwalks winds its way over the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway just south of the swing bridge, but I shot all of those durin gthe afternoon last summer. This time I went for some night shots because I wanted to get the 30-ish foot tall faux Christmas tree reflected in the water. This was as eventful as New Year's Eve got for me though. Sparkling lights notwithstanding, the whole of Topsail Island was pretty well deserted. I guess everybody went the extra 30 miles or so to Carolina Beach to watch them drop the giant beach ball. Party animal that I am, I went back to my room in North Topsail Beach, watched the Hurricanes drop a 2-1 game to the Rangers and fell asleep.
Stumble This!

4 comments:

carmilevy said...

I'm at peace not only from this scene, but from your description of the evening. I've never been one for overt partying to welcome in the new year. Sedate and reserved has always been more my speed, and this seems like the perfect kind of night to me!

magiceye said...

beautiful!
you reflect on your vacation?!

Maude Lynn said...

What a perfect reflection!

Robin said...

Even if you were a big partier it wold be worth foregoing the party chaos for this shot - it's GORGEOUS!