Thursday, February 04, 2010

Thematic Photographic 87: "On The Road" v.1.0 - Surf City New Year's Eve


"Church of the Fisherman"
Surf City, NC - December 31, 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

This week Thematic Photographic goes "On The Road", meaning anything shot while traveling. And since my two most recent trips have both been to the same place, it's only natural that I'd lead off with something from Topsail Island. Right in the middle of this oversized sandbar sits Surf City (no I'm not kidding) and it's maze of boardwalks that stretch out into the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. I caught a pretty spectacular sunset there New Year's Eve, and who knows that I won't show off some of the shots of that later this week. But to start, this is what New Year's Eve looked like in Surf City. Maybe everybody (else) was down in Carolina Beach waiting for the drop of the Giant Beach Ball (no, I'm not kidding). But I was taken with this engineering marvel last summer when I was down here. And in the after dark hours, it takes on a whole other dimension. Despite the lights along the walkways, it's nearly imposisble to see the water -- or the rather large (sounding) water fowl I disturbed with my presence. Normally this colleciton of planks and pilings would be inhabited by scores of fishing-rod-toting tourists and locals trying their luck in the Intracoastal's turbid water. But tonight it was so deserted that the loudest thing I heard (other than the aforementioned water fowl) was the sound of my boots on the wood. On a night normally reserved for revelry, it offered a moment of reflection, even reverence. And more than one quality photographic scoring chance.
Stumble This!

6 comments:

Kcalpesh said...

It's a nice shot.. despite the limited lights..

Pixellicious Photos | Follow me

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Loving this peaceful shot! Even the green on the wood is great!

BIG is best

Daryl said...

Nice and a little scary

Light and Voices said...

When I stopped laughing and got off the floor, here is my comment: yeppers that is a fisherman's church. My husband and I both fish till we drop!
Joyce M

SandyCarlson said...

Having taken that walk, I hear my solitary footfall on those solid beams all over again. Thanks.

Catherine said...

That looks like the sort of place I'd love to be in on a still night