Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thematic Photographic 4: "Wood" v.1.0


"Down the Rabbit Hole"
Somewhere on the North Carolina-Virginia border, February 2001 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.
This week's Thematic Photographic subject is "Wood", which is a longtime favorite of mine (minds out of the gutters people). Like last week's theme (glass) this is one that can take an almost infinite number of forms. During a quick perusal of the archives, this shot caught my eye probably because it's unusual (in my experience at least) to see such symmetry in a rotting stump. As far as I know, though, nothing more than the forces of nature produced my subject.

"Hollow Body Electric"
The Coffee Mill, Clayton, NC, July 2004 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.
This piece of wood, however, was very definitely shaped by man-made forces. If memory serves, this is a Gibson ES350 masterfully wielded by a local jazz artist whose proper name escapes me at the moment. I do remember the shot was taken at a small independent coffeehouse on the 4th of July 2004.

Yesterday's post on the NRCAT anti-torture campaign elicited an interesting comment or two. Interesting enough that at least one of them bears some further discussion. My friend DB noted that if we put banners up protesting everything that was wrong in the world, we'd run out of space long before we ran out of problems to protest. And he's right. he's also right in pointing out that the banners themselves would start a whole new set of arguments over the banners themselves ... size, colors, placement, designs. And then there's the matter of deciding which causes or problems are banner-worthy. Which pretty well brings us right back to the beginning of why we needed the banners in the first place. Then we'd have the meta-banners -- the banners protesting the proliferation of banners. The possibilities are truly frightening.

But my purpose in bringing the subject up was less about the banners -- or even the wrongness of torture -- than it was about the disconnection of "religious" and "right". The two have been equated so much in the last several years -- by people on both sides of the aisle -- that it's almost become a truism that in order to be "religious" you must be "conservative" and support of the president and all he stands for.

The objective truth though, is probably quite different.

Studies published in the CIA World Factbook and the American Religious Identification Survey indicate that between 76.5% and 78.5% of Americans identify themselves1 as "Christian" of one denomination or another. Another 12% identify themselves as "unaffiliated", and only 4% identify themselves as having "no religion at all". So if we have such an overwhelming majority of America calling itself Christian, then the only way to explain the disparity between those 76% who call themselves Christian and the President's steadily declining approval rating (currently between 23 and 29 percent depending on who you ask,sup>2) is that it is possible to be religious -- even Christian -- and still not support the current administration. Ironically, this 76% majority is often used by the Religious Right to bolster the argument that "America is a Christian nation, and as such should be guided by Christian principles". More ironically, I can agree with them on that point in theory. But I find myself still more in agreement with Gandhi when he said: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."


1 The only statistics available on religious affiliations are from representative surveys. Unlike other countries, the United States does not include questions about religion in its census data and hasn't for over 50 years.

2 The Polling Report.com is a good starting point for finding results. They track most of the major polls on a weekly basis and provide a snapshot of results from many sources.


Latest Smoking Cessation News
Today is my first day on the Stage 2 patch, which cuts my "nicodone" dosage roughly in half. I was a little concerned that there'd be a repeat of the early withdrawal symptoms from when I first quit as a stepped down. I thought surely I'd at least feel stronger urges once the replacement dosage dropped. But happily, after about 18 of the first 24 hours of this stage I'm not noticing any significant difference. (For any of you lurking out there and contemplating this method of quitting, that's an important -- and very encouraging -- piece of news.)
Stumble This!

15 comments:

G. Harrison said...

lovely old stump, mojo. it is enjoyable to turn to deep archives.

i didn't have to go far; 2,000 sq. ft. of cedar siding is on my back deck. and I use scrap lumber for bird houses.

cheers, gord h.

Craver said...

I like Ghandi's statement there - as I often find people delcaring themselves "christian" while simultaneously being the most back-stabbing, underhanded, liars, deceivers, cheats, etc., I've ever met.. but apparently it's okay since "they are christian" and "god will forgive them" in my book it's a damn good thing because I don't know how or why anyone they've left in their wake would.
Bottom line, I'm mostly in the 4% category, because at least I can trust those 4%..

Excellent news on the no-smoking.. I'll be looking for you to run 5k next year with B and I.

:D

carmilevy said...

I love this shot for so many reasons, especially because of its apparent symmetry and evenness in a place- nature - where symmetry and evenness are often hard to find.

I need to start digging into my archives as well. You're inspired me!

Unknown said...

a good one mojo.... that is strange, isn't it... it's food for thought though...

i enjoyed.

Nestor Family said...

Nice photo for the theme, mojo. The texture is great and the subject interesting... Nice!

Canadian Mark said...

Captured the theme nicely.

Good work on the no-smoking. I found the stage two patch to be quite enjoyable... I actually stayed on it for a week longer than I was supposed to.

Mojo said...

@Cravey: Thanks for the encouragement girl, but I'll leave the running to those that still have fully (or at least mostly) functional knees. Now if I could saddle up the bike and pedal the 5K, I'd be right there witcha.

@Mark: I don't think "enjoyable" is the idea behind the patches, man. But whatever it takes, right?

And as usual, thanks to everyone for the love feeds. I'm really having quite a bit of fun with this.

Oh, and Carmi? If you're ever gonna announce the theme "Beautiful Women with German Shepherds" could ya give me some advance warning. I'll need to alert the NCDA to the possibility of locusts.

K. E. Douglas said...

I like the picture - very symetrical.

And you're still rocking on the quitting smoking thing. What kind of encouragement works best for you, my friend? The kind that says, "Keep it up! You're amazing! You're doing great!" or the kind that says, "You're doing great, and if you don't keep it up I'm gonna kick your arse!" Pick the one you like, and know I mean it.

Mojo said...

@Kristen: I've had both kinds in bountiful ways since I started this. For instance JC is usually the former kind and Roo is the one threatening to break my kneecaps. I'm not sure which is more effective, but does it matter? It's working!

Crazy Charlene said...

mojo~~the compliments that you left on my htn post was very flattering~~~both for my pic and goat story part I and II~~~ i will be posting part III later tonight~~~~~i am so going to be back to read your post~~~just what i quickly read i so know that i want to come back and read your post~~~~~i'll have to get my brain and comeback~~~~~
~~~BGWD~~~~~~~~~
Charlene

Lex Valentine said...

Totally loving that guitar pic. When photographers get artsy with an "axe" I get all shivery. On the other hand, I got all shivery when I had to go to A&I Professional Film Processing in Hollywood to pick up my best friend's film when he was the first civilian allowed to shoot the B2 at Whiteman AFB in MO. I was shaking looking at the images on the light table with a loupe while I talked to him on the phone (he in Florida at his grandmother's). He was really nervous about the pics because of the weather and because Aviation Week was courting him for them. I looked through the loupe and saw some really amazing images... the best of which made the cover of Aviation Week.

Mojo said...

@Charlene: I have to confess, I laughed a little at Part I, at the beginning at least. But your first HNT was also my first HNT... I'd never heard about that particular meme, but the title of your post was just too tempting to resist. Glad I stopped in though -- that was a great shot.
@Winter: Shivery is good. I like shivery. I'll have to post a few more "axe victim shots" just for you. (bonus points for anybody who gets that rather obscure reference)

Crazy Charlene said...

Mojo~~told you I would be back~~ i wish you the best of luck with stopping smoking (i am so jealous~~ I'm going to do that one of these days~~BGWD~~~

and I so agree with
your post where you quoted Gandai "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
I have heard that before and love it ~~

and I am so going to put it on my blog

and I will be back~~~~~

Jude said...

Love your photos. The first one is so easy to look at and I agree with the people that mentioned the symmetry - it's a composition that feels "right". My favorite is the guitar thats a great shot too. Fantastic work on the knocking off smoking too - been there done that... my Dad stayed on stage two for about a year I think... LOL

http://web.mac.com/judereid

smarmoofus said...

I love that first picture... the hollowed stump just draws your curiosity in, doesn't it? And more stunning black and white! I really should experiment with that more.

I like the contrast between the stark black & white tree stump and the warm, full-colour closeup of the instrument.

-smarmoofus