Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Watery Wednesday #2: Morehead City from Atlantic Beach


"Morehead City from Atlantic Beach"
Atlantic Beach, NC - October 2008 (Click to embiggen)

Watery Wednesday


If you stop at the Atlantic Beach end of the Causeway Bridge this is what you see. This is Morehead City, viewed across Bogue Sound from the island side. In addition to being a port of entry for the state, Morehead City is effectively the gateway to everywhere on the Crystal Coast. Most visitors will pass through here on the way to the beaches on Emerald Isle, or on the way to Beaufort. Morehead is a slice of Americana that only keeps up with the times grudgingly. There are still any number of independently owned restaurants, shops and other merchants mixed in among the larger chain retailers.

Being primarily a place people go through rather than to, Morehead seems to fly below the radar as a destination, but it's worth spending some time in if you're in the area.


Stumble This!

9 comments:

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shot. I like those places that still have that sense of Old Americana to them. Add some water to it and it's right up my alley.
:-)

Daryl said...

Pretty .. I wish it was closer .. could you move it up north a bit?

:-Daryl

judi/Gmj said...

It rocks all right, now I am seasick. :D

Carletta said...

When I lived in Virginia I had a friend who used to visit Emerald Isle and would talk about Morehead City. Always thought I'd get there.I didn't so I'll see all this vicariously through you.
Lovely watery shot!

Sara Chapman said...

Blue, blue, blue water. So good to see! Happy Watery Wednesday!

Leedra said...

Neat looking town on the water.

iriegal said...

I like the "country town" feel in the photo

Melissa said...

Lovely scenic view. I love it. Beautiful blue water...

mine is up

Rambling Woods said...

Beautiful blue color to the water and it's not frozen like things here..Happy Wednesday

New Rambling Woods Site