Friday, February 06, 2009

Thematic Photographic 35: "Down" v.2.0 - Down By The Old Mill Stream


"Down the Crick"
Raleigh, NC - December 2008 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

This week's Thematic Photographic theme is "Down". As in "a collection of vectors aligned with the pull of gravity, or in the absence of gravity, some arbitrary and agreed upon vector".

Am I still working the shoot from Yates Mill? Oh yes I am. Mainly because it's still working for me. I figured I should go with something a little more "conventional" after my stretch in v.1.0, and this set of stone steps leading down to the stream below the mill race seemed like just the thing. I didn't see any way to get to them from the areas that are open to the public, so I assume they're only used by the maintenance staff now, but I'd also guess that they've been right where they are for a very long time. Possibly as long as the mill race itself, which would put their age at over 200 years. But whether they've been there 200 years or 200 minutes, they look like they belong there. And, they do lead down!


Stumble This!

11 comments:

Daryl said...

Indeed they do .. as well as up ... unless of course there are two of these sets of amazing stone steps? I didnt think so.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Mojo, this accomplished the task! It's a very neaat shot!

Sheila :-)

tiff said...

You CAN use them...at least when it's reasonably dry - the boys and I did it just last summer. :)

bobbie said...

This is a wonderful shot for "down"! But then - it might also by "up", mightent it? (Is there such a word as "Mightent"?)

Unknown said...

Might be a good place to swim, if an alligator doesn't eat your toes. :)

Lil Bit said...

Oooo, luv that meandering stepped-path down to the crick!

Merisi said...

I love the air of mystery about this shot, well done! :-)

Congratulations on your spot on David's POD award!

Shrinky said...

OMG, that photo is absolutely awesome. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Atmospherically divine. I do so love black/white shots.

Here from David's POTD

Anonymous said...

Atmospherically divine. I do so love black/white shots.

Here from David's POTD

Susan English Mason said...

Congrats on the POTD reference. That's what brought me here. Great picture; I almost expect the ground to form into a creature and come to life.