Thursday, May 21, 2009

Window Views #5: (Side) Curtain Call


"Hauling Glass"
Raleigh, NC - May 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Window Views

Some of my favorite photo opportunities are car shows. Not the big money shows like they do in Vegas or Detroit, but the local club shows where the cars are driven in and out by the people who have spent months or even years painstakingly restoring -- or in some cases modifying -- their rides. These cars are usually driven to the show, displayed with very little, if any, staging and driven home again. There's passion here that anyone can appreciate even if they don't understand it. This 1961 MGA turned up at a show last weekend along with a hundred or so other British-built cars. Getting the right angle for most of the shots I took required a lot of stooping and up-and-down (with an additional 40 pounds or so of camera gear strapped to my back and hanging from my neck. And my legs are still pointing out the fact that I probably ... over-schlepped. (It's okay, you can groan.)Violence UnSilenced
Stumble This!

17 comments:

Shadow said...

gotta stop blogging for today, can't seem to focus on this one...

maryt/theteach said...

Oooo! Mojo, that is impressive! I LOVE it! 40 lbs of camera equipment! I underestimated your professionalism. I am very proud you bother to participate in my little amateur memes! But please continue to do so! Great job! :)

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

I like this photo a lot, love the colors through the glass. Nice one!
Hopefully we will get to see more shots from this car show.

Rayne said...

Stunning fantastic photo! There is a part of me yearning to open that door and slide in behind the wheel.
I love cars that were made to be driven and not just to transport.

Daryl said...

I like this .. its what happens to me when I use the 'thru the glass' mode ...

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

I am so lacking in car knowledge that I would never have been able to guess that was what your photo was. Thanks for the intro :)

Jan said...

Mojo, love this, everything about the photo is great.

Anonymous said...

Neat pic - we like the originality of subject matter.
We're posting our entry tomorrow.

Shey said...

Fantastic angle and shot, Mojo. Very nice car. Would love to drive this. *wish* LOL!

Anonymous said...

Awesome shot. It reminds me of Saul Leiter, one of my favorite photographers!

Jeri ~ said...

Wonderful shot! All that stooping paid off. Love that "Hauling Glass" title also!!

Anonymous said...

Outstanding, I like everything about this from the MG logo to the details in the dash, just wonderful!

ellen b. said...

Oh I like it . So artsy!!

Ivanhoe said...

I love that shot! Looks like straight from a magazine. Never been to a car show like that, but sometimes I see a group of enthusiasts with "old" cars in parking lot nearby.

Annie Jeffries said...

car shows are so fun. I'll have to revisit some of my photos here at window one day.

kayerj said...

a very creative picture. Please stop by and see the view from my window

carmilevy said...

Better to overshlep than undershlep, I've always said.

There's an achingly lovely pattern to this shot, and it takes me waaaay back to an era when cars had personality and we gave them names.