Saturday, January 02, 2010

Thematic Photographic 82: "2009 - The Year that Was" v.3.0 - Nuv Yug, Roller Derby, and The Fourth (and Third) of July


"Nuv Yug India Fest 2009"
Raleigh, NC - March 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

"Carolina Rollergirls"
Raleigh, NC - June 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

"Ooohh... Ahhhh..."
Garner, NC - July 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

Summertime, and the livin' is easy. Actually, around here, the livin' is hot and humid and sweaty and kinda gross. But photo opportunities abound, some of which I expected. Others? Not so much. If you'd told me coming into 2009 that I'd be snapping madly away in Dorton Arena for the Nuv Yug India Fest 2009 in March I'd have probably nodded in agreement. Perhaps even vigorous agreement. (Okay, technically that's not summer, but work with me okay?) Because I think it's important to be exposed to other cultures, and what better place than events where those cultures are on display for you to ... be exposed to them? But if you'd followed that prediction up with one that said I'd be back at Dorton Arena in June madly photographing the Carolina Rollergirls Roller Derby team, I might have questioned that notion. And yet. Then came July, and with it not one, but two Fireworks Displays of Consequence. And everybody knows how much I love shooting those. I could have squeezed in a third one if I could have managed to get myself to Durham on July 2. But getting to Lake Benson for Garner's celebration on the 3rd, and topping that off with the show in Raleigh on the 4th provided me with a fantastic crop of fireworks shots.
Stumble This!

3 comments:

Shrinky said...

What a contrast between the gentle grace of the dancers in this first shot, and the frenetic energy of the Derby rollers in the second! You sure do have an eye for a great shot, another wonderful trio, Mojo.

SandyCarlson said...

I like that you get around the way you do. You get me around, and I haven't left this big ol' chair at 8:24 a.m.

The first and the third are lyrical. The ladies in the middle provide a little percussion.

Maude Lynn said...

You do excellent fireworks shots. That one is truly spectacular.