Saturday, June 14, 2008

T + somewhere in the 65-66 hour range

Folks, we're approaching that pseudo-magical 72 hour barrier that's supposed to be the Next Big Thing. I really can't think that far ahead, but some sources say that the physical withdrawal runs its course in 72 hours. After that it's allegedly another two weeks before the psychological withdrawal becomes tolerable. But here's the thing. Am I really suffering form physical withdrawal? These neat-o patch thingies are still delivering about a pack a day worth of nicotine. If cigarettes are more addictive than heroin (as some experts have posited), then the patch is the equivalent to methadone treatment. So what should I expect when I step down to Phase 2? Hopefully the withdrawal attenuates at the same rate as the dosage. But I kinda suspect I'll be doing this again when I get to the next step.


So hey, let's talk about something else for a change. It seems that McBush has taken aim at his foot again, with his comments on the recent Supreme Court decision granting immediate rights of habeus corpus to the detainees at Gitmo.
"The United States Supreme Court yesterday rendered a decision which I think is one of the worst decisions in the history of this country." - from National Journal/NBC, 6/13

I'm sorry, I must have misheard you Senator. Did you say "one of the worst decisions"? I'd really love to know how close to the top of the list this ranks in the McBush pantheon of Bad Decisions by the Supreme Court.

Now I know the McBush apologists will raise the cry of "Conetxt! Context!" and they're right. This is a quote taken from (presumably) a larger body of text which was (presumably) part of a still larger whole. And being robbed of the supporting statements around it, it's forced to stand on its own.

The supporting statements that I managed to find point out that "these are not American citizens" but "enemy combatants". And McBush is pissed because the Supreme Court decision affords them the same right of habeus corpus as an American would have. Maybe he's got a point hidden in there somewhere. Let's take it on faith for a moment that every one of the Guantanamo detainees are foreign nationals and that no US citizens are being held there. As a foreign national, absent diplomatic immunity, I would expect to be subject to the same rule of law as an American would if I were on American soil -- be that the soil of the Continental US, or one of its possessions outside the US. If I am subject to the same laws, am I not also afforded the same protections? Makes you wonder, doesn't it?



In trying to find citations for the diatribe I was writing on the subject above, I kept bumping into news about the unexpected and untimely passing of Tim Russert, NBC News' Washington Bureau Chief and long time host of Meet the Press. It's embarrassing to admit it, but when I heard the name I didn't connect it with the man. It was one of those moments when you say "Oh that guy!". Clearly he was well respected and well loved by his colleagues, his friends, his family and his audience. The world's a poorer place when we lose someone like this, and my deepest sympathies go out to those close to him. I'll miss you on MTP, Tim.



Stumble This!

3 comments:

Sparky said...

You are doing marvelously!!!
Don't give in now.. this is/was the hard part! I think the step down part gets easier as long as you remember to keep your hands busy.

I'd love to comment about Bush, but I can't.. listening to/seeing/hearing him makes me want to stab an ice pick into both eyes/ears so I avoid that. Sorry.

Happy Father's Day dude! Hope you get to hang with your boys today!

jc

Mojo said...

Thank you, thank you... The 96 hour mark is coming up at 6pm today, at which point I think it's necessary to begin using actual *DAYS* as a unit of measure. That will be different.

And cool.

Her Roo-ness said...

GREAT JOB!!!!
you should take up knitting (friggin better than eating which *might* be what i did)... its good for your knee caps. :D

W.
bah.

Tim Russert. I dunno what the hell I'm going to do Sunday mornings after I run while I'm having coffee.