Friday, November 20, 2009

Thematic Photographic 76: "Orange" v.3.0 - Tangerine Trees and Marmalade Skies


"Shiny, Happy Airplane"
Winston Salem, NC - September 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

I don't think I'll get any argument about the color of this airplane (if you're wondering WTF? see yesterday's post) captured at the Winston Salem Air Show in September. What I would get an argument on is the make and model. Happily, I have no problem admitting that I don't know this information, which pretty well short circuits any argument potential. I can tell you that it's a closed cockpit biplane similar to the ones flown by the Red Eagle Air Sports team I featured a few weeks ago, but other than that I have no clue. It looks like it would handle stunt/aerobatic work, but on this day its mission profile was simply sitting on the ramp looking shiny and orange.
Stumble This!

3 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

We shall call her Lucy . . .

Pretty plane!

SquirrelQueen said...

That is one cool looking plane, love the color. I once had a Formula Firebird about the same shade of orange.

carmilevy said...

This, my friend, is a Pitts Special. It is one of the most successful aerobatic designs, and is widely flown and admired. Small, incredibly powerful for its weight, frighteningly agile thanks to oversized control surfaces, g-ratings to make a fighter pilot blush. I'd give me eye teeth to fly in one.

In the absence of that - and the continued presence of my teeth - I'll hold onto this capture. I can almost feel the rivets on the fuselage.