Friday, January 08, 2010

Thematic Photographic 83: "What I Did On My Vacation" v.2.0 - (Network) Bridge to Nowhere


"I have to ask..."
North Topsail Beach, NC - December 2009(Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

Within a few hours of my arrival at North Topsail Beach, I had discovered a new Mystery of the Island. First off, the color coding of this wire doesn't match anything I'm familiar with, so I have no idea what kind of cable it used to be. It doesn't use the colors I know from hooking up phone lines or ethernet connections, so I have to go on the assumption that it was for some kind of Network Beyond My Understanding. Since Topsail Island was once a US Navy proving ground (before the tourist industry discovered it) that means it could have been for just about anything. Second, I can't figure out how it got to be where it is. Third, I don't know if it was actually connected to something at one time or if it's a broken piece that was washed up and buried and is now sticking up out of the sand making me ask questions. All I do know is that it isn't serving the function it was designed for and it -- along with dozens of other similar artifacts -- are sprouting up out of the beach all along the shoreline. I suppose the question is whether it would do more damage to dig the stuff up or simply leave it there to be eroded away by the surf and the sand.
Stumble This!

6 comments:

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Whatever it is or was it made for a perfect photo! Love the Christmas tree post earlier too.

Daryl said...

And you didnt try to pull it up to see if it was attached to a bunker where someone might be sitting at a computer and hitting a series of numbers every 108 minutes?

SandyCarlson said...

This is actually why my Internet connection stinks down the road from there.

Shadow said...

damn this look nice. whatever it may be...

Robin said...

Makes great looking seagrass though, doesn't it?

Love this shot.

PS You weren't even a little bit tempted to dig it up and see what it was attached to? I don't think I'd have been able to resist.

Pamela said...

an electric sea anemone