Monday, January 11, 2010

Thematic Photographic 83: "What I Did On My Vacation" v.5.0 - No Kidding?


"Thank You Captain Obvious"
North Topsail Beach, NC - December 2009(Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

Sometimes my sense of humor is a bit... oblique. When I first saw this sign I had a hard time explaining the laughter that erupted (primarily because I was laughing too hard to speak). But when I finally caught my breath I finally got out "No kidding... there's no water there!" Not like anyone was likely to be swimming anywhere on this beach on this day anyway. But amusement notwithstanding, the sign is one you really want to take seriously. Topsail Island being essentially a sandbar that grew up big and strong, there are a lot of rip currents (otherwise known as rip tides or undertow) that can get even a strong swimmer into some pretty serious trouble in a pretty serious hurry. There are other signs posted along the beach here that tell you how to handle it if you get caught in one, but the best advice is probably to pay attention to the signs like this one. The ocean does not suffer fools well, and she absolutely insists on respect. Not being much of a swimmer myself, I never argue with her. Ever. (Hopefully she didn't take offense at my mirthful outburst.)
Stumble This!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The sign does seem to be unnecessary! lol

SandyCarlson said...

Hey. Dune swimming is a new Olympic sport. Really.....

Maude Lynn said...

Hey, I like your sense of humor!