Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thematic Photographic 86: "Water In Any Form" v.1.0 - You Saw This Coming, Right?


"Atlantic Latte, Extra Foam"
North Topsail Beach, NC - December 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

Water comes in a lot of guises, and I'm betting nobody's surprised to see me open with another shot from Topsail Island. Here you get to see water in several forms. There's the predictable ocean in background, a shallow tidal pool in foreground, but somebody put a head on this one. The foam that sticks to the shore when the waves recede often collects and lingers for a while, but I've never seen a collection this impressive before. I'm not sure what charcateristics of sea water make the surface tension in these bubbles so much stronger than your normal emulsified water, but something obviously does. Any ideas?
Stumble This!

6 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

I don't know, but if you tilt the glass when you pour you can avoid that problem.

Tracie Nall said...

I don't know what causes it, but it definitely looks cool! Great picture!

Anonymous said...

Sea foam has two basic ingredients: something to increase surface tension (dissolved organic material) and something to froth it up (strong surface winds or breaking waves to combine water with air, creating bubbles).

The wide variance in foam quality and quantity results from the range of organic material- usually a concentration of biomass (like phytoplankton bloom or worse, sewage...)

Cool picture, regardless of the foaming agent responsible...

Daryl said...

THE BLOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!

carmilevy said...

What Titanium said. Either way, this is brilliant. I always look - intently - at your photos before I read the accompanying entry. This time, I simply stared at the screen as my brain tried, feebly, to figure out what I was looking at.

The dimension and depth are remarkable. I know that's one of the elements of your photographic style, but I need to say it again. Damn unique view of a really cool phenomenon.

SandyCarlson said...

Definitely seems to be coming to get us. That is surreal.