Friday, July 04, 2008

55 Flash Fiction Friday #1: "Sleeveless"


She seemed uncertain. Even shy.

Perhaps wearing something other than her customary long-sleeved t-shirt left her feeling naked, vulnerable.

The lines were faint to everyone but her, almost giving her enough courage to meet his gaze.

Fingertips lifted her chin and stinging tears blossomed in the corners of her eyes at his words: "Hello Grace."
M6Friday: 55FlashFiction Graciously hosted by G-Man.
This is a way different kind of meme (for me at least), but I thought I'd give it a try just for the hell of it. Keeping it down to 55 words is a serious challenge.
(By the way, when this publishes itself as if by magic I will be out of town and probably thinking about lots of things -- none of which will be this blog. Love you guys, but... Comments are -- as always -- welcome, but I won't be responding for a day or two.)
Note: No Graces were harmed in the making of this 55. In other words, this is a work of fiction and any similarities to any actual person(s) or events is purely coincidental.
Since this is my first shot at this, I'd be interested in hearing how you interpreted what was happening here. I know what was happening before and after this chunk of the story, so I have context for it. I'd like to know what happens to it when that context isn't there. Do you see the same thing I do, or something completely different? Nope! No clues! I want unvarnished reactions.
Stumble This!

8 comments:

smarmoofus said...

Yay! I got button graphic credit! *twirls*

It won't be fair for me to suggest possible meanings behind this, so I won't. But I will say it's an excellent 55. One would never guess it's your first (if you had not told us!).

-smarmoofus

Craver said...

I'm clueless.
I bounced a kajillionty ideas around and decided I didn't like any of them, the last one was post-op major plastic surgery.. not like tori spelling needs a nose, but like, my face went through a windshield and a team of skilled surgeons need to piece me back together.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend!!

jc
(and enjoying it without a cigarette!)

Crazy Charlene said...

and i just knew you would be thinking of me while you were gone~~pout~~

~~~BGWD~~~ one of my nicknames from mom is Grace~~~
did you write this about me~~ nope, i doubt many would call me shy

~~~~~~~~PLAWYK~~looking forward to hearing from you

Mojo said...

@Smarmoofus: I always give credit where it's due... thanks for the help!

@JC: I like your concept, but that's not where I was going with her. Your idea's not as dark as mine, but hey... that figures right?

@Charlene: I don't think you want to be this "Grace", hon'.

Crazy Charlene said...

hey darlin~~just got in~~feel really old~~former students are fucking grandparents~~that makes me great grand crazy charlene (cc-origianlly stood for cousin charlene but got changed to cc in college) but i looked damn good at being old~~i even got a "you look like you did when you taught me math in 1980~~almost 30 years ago~~~but growing old is much much better than NOT growing old~~~~

~~~PLAWYK~~~

Crazy Charlene said...

just checkin in to say good morning

~~~~PLAWYK~~~~~~~~

tiff said...

Grace tried to commit suicide, di'int she?

Mojo said...

@Charlene: G'morning sexy. You mean you didn't shanghai one of those former students for a little weekend excitement?

@Tiff: That's very close -- close enough that I suppose it's possible there was a suicide attempt in there at some point, but that's not really where I was headed.