Monday, July 07, 2008

Monday 7/7: Miscellaneous Ramblings with Special Guest, Cleanup on Aisle 5

Friday, July 4th
I'm still catching up from the weekend, but as much as I've missed you guys I have to say it was nice to spend three full days completely disconnected from a computer. I haven't yet gone through all of the photos, but here are a few to start with.
Rocket's Red Glare - Atlantic Beach Style
"Rocket's Red Glare Atlantic Beach Style - Part I"
Atlantic Beach, NC - July 4 2008

You might remember I said I was planning to take the Fireworks Cruise out of Beaufort. Well, to shorten the story a bit, we missed the boat. Those cruises fill up pretty quickly and we were late getting to the party so there weren't any seats left on board. (This was all part of a larger pattern of plans that were already rough to begin with basically disintegrating completely).
Rocket's Red Glare - Atlantic Beach Style"Rocket's Red Glare Atlantic Beach Style - Part II"
Atlantic Beach, NC - July 4 2008

Instead, we decided to take in the fireworks display at Atlantic Beach. This put us almost directly under one display -- which was pretty awe-inspiring in itself, but had a secondary bonus as well. From here we were we could see several other fireworks displays from other towns along the coastline. The second shot is actually of a rocket launched in (I think) Indian Beach or possibly Pine Knoll Shores, the next towns down the island. We could also see the ones from Morehead City and Beaufort on the mainland.


Saturday, July 5th
Kiting on the Beach
"Kiting On The Beach"
Atlantic Beach/Pine Knoll Shores, NC - July 5 2008

I've always been a big fan of mixing a little education in with the fun of a vacation, and this trip I got to learn about the science of kiting. Seriously. I haven't flown a kite (that I recall) since my childhood -- which as most of you realize is quite a while ago. In those days, you went to the dime store (yes, they were still called that then) and picked up something that looked like a piece cut from a plastic trash bag and put it together with a couple of pieces of wood. Tails were optional, and line was whatever string you could find to add to what was supplied in the kit. (Because they never, ever included enough string in the kit!) To be fair, the wind coming from offshore would probably wreck one of these ahem classic kites in a matter of minutes.

Not these from the kite store. These were made from heavy duty rip-stop nylon and framed with graphite or some other composite material similar to what's used in modern tent "poles". These kites could have been spec'ed by NASA. And they cost like it too. No 69-cent trash bag models here folks. These started at around $35 and went up to over $300. Yes I said three.hundred. We also picked up a clever device called a "sand anchor" which is in simplest terms resembles a diaper full of ... sand. The rig is a square piece of rip stop with nylon web straps crossing diagonally from corner to corner. The straps have loops sewn into the ends and the whole idea is to dig a hole in the sand, place the diaper in it and bury it. Then hook the four ends of the straps and the kite line together with a caribiner and the kite stays aloft but doesn't escape. And it works too. This guy stayed up until we reeled him in when we left. He'd probably still be flying if we'd left him there (as if!).

Crabby Patty's Havelock, NC
"Crabby Patty's"
Havelock, NC - July 5 2008

This sight spawned a "Stop the car! Turn around!" from my copilot. Apparently the nefarious Spongebob Squarepants frequents a shady establishment by the same name. Whether this restaurant gave the name to or took it from the cartoon I can't say. But apparently it's not the same place because there were no goofily clad talking sponges around as far as I could see.
Crabby Patty's Havelock, NC
"Crabby Patty's"
Havelock, NC - July 5 2008

This is another view of Crabby Patty's, presumably a mural-sized portrait of Crabby herself.

In my next installment, I'll explain how the best laid plans are sometimes better when pitched cheerfully over the side. Stay tuned!Stumble This!

4 comments:

tiff said...

The Krabby Patty is the nameof the burger-ish sammich that Plankton is always trying to steal the recipe for.

Ask me how I know. :)

A weekend at the beach, even with alternate plans as the primary, are wonderful. Sounds like you had a terrific time!

Craver said...

I am leaving on my own beach trip in just a little less than a month.. and this post just makes me more excited.
I can't freaking stand it.

Glad you had a fabulous time. Niiiice pictures too. :)

Mojo said...

@Tiff: Okay, I'll bite. "How do you know?"

@JC: Yaaay! Glad to hear you're gonna do something fun! Which beach are you going to?

Crazy Charlene said...

i just had to come and peak before i left~~~PLAWYK~~you gots some mightly fine photos here sweetie

be back later

~~~PLAWYK~~~~~~