Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thematic Photographic 84: "White" v.1.0 - Chip Of the Old Bloc


"White Bird"
Winston Salem, NC - September 2009(Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

This week, THematic Photographic explores the world of "White". And if it snows in the next few days (unlikely) I might have the usual fare for you. Until then, let's step into the Wayback Machine ot last September and the Winston Salem Air Show. This is the Czech-built Aero L-39 Albatros, one of the most -- possibly the most -- common primary jet trainers of the old Soviet bloc. The PA announcer at the air show called it "rugged, quick, and able to be maintained with a crescent wrench and a hammer". This isn't the first time I've shown you the L-39, but it's the first time I've featured this L-39. It's black-painted cousin was one of the features in this post. There's really not much more I can tell you about this airplane than I have. But this one's white.
Stumble This!

4 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

Perfect, perfect shot!

carmilevy said...

I somehow knew if anyone could capture an ideally clean and elegant shot of an ideally clean and elegant aircraft, it would be you.

I've always adored this design. They sure did design it pretty way back when (can you believe...over 40 years ago?) and that classic form is as riveting today as it likely was then.

Sorry, I get carried away when I encounter great planes and great photography. Especially so when the two meet.

dennisthemennis.co.uk said...

Nice shot, how dd you get so close tho.

Here is Mine

Glennis said...

Nice!! And I too want to know how you captured such a shot. Were you in flight?