Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Thematic Photographic 84: "White" v.7.0 - What's a Week Without a Vintage MG?


"1952 MG TD"
Raleigh, NC - May 2009(Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

In the process of researching the MG for another post a while back, I learned something I'd never known before. "MG" stands for "Morris Garage", which is apparently the shop where the first of these autos were built. Morris also built the original Mini Cooper, and Mini Minor before merging with Austin, which was also in bed with Healy which was also in bed with Jensen. It's no wonder these old British cars were as flalky as they were considering the inbreeding that must have resulted form all that sleeping everybody was doing with everybody else. The whole of British Leyland seems pretty incestuous to me. But reliability issues aside, these old MG's, along with their cousins at Atusin-Morris-Jensen-Healy and Triumph were immesnely popular with my generation and the one before it. (Ask either of my sons and they probably wouldn't recognize an MG at a glance.) this is probably because these were sports cars that regular people could actually afford to buy. Then. I shudder to think of the price this MG TD would fetch today.
Stumble This!

1 comment:

Maude Lynn said...

Morris Garage . . . I didn't know that!