Friday, August 22, 2008

55 Flash Fiction Friday #8: Chapter 2 - Aag Lagi

Just one more day until Bloggin' the Square '08
Looking for today's Thematic Photographic? No worries, it's here
Special feature fiction -- one day only! Memories of Ingrid

Foreword: Be careful what you wish for... Last week's edition sparked quite a stir in some quarters. Enough of one to make me consider creating a serial 55 (a la Snowelf, though I can't touch her for imagery). So I'll run with this one for a while and see where it takes us. Come along won't you? Because...

Some stories are the same in any language.
The knot of men scurried from her path as she swept into the street. Knuckles white on the handle of the hamsiya* clutched in her hand, she stormed past the others drawing herself to full height before Vinay. Raising the blade before him, she hissed, "The next hand you raise on me, you will lose."


Notes:*hamsiya: a sickle or pruning hook

Previous Chapters
Chapter 1: Vandhe Mataram!


You wanna play too?
M6Friday: 55FlashFiction
G-Man


Stumble This!

20 comments:

G-Man said...

We shall indeed see where this will lead....
Thanks for the heads up Mojo, thanks for being a faithful 55'er, and have a Great Week-End...G

G-Man said...

...BTW, YAHTZEE!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

ooohhh feisty eh? I like her. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Darn it, I thought I was going to be first! :P

Mona said...

Aag Lagi ( On fire) indeed!

That is one common scenario in almost every Indian Household, although, not everyone wields a Hamsiya with the penchant of your heroine here!

Want to know why?

Come check my 55ve...

Pam said...

very interesting...we'll see where this goes. now i gotta go check mona's. i'm up as well.

KB said...

Oh yes, more please!

smarmoofus said...

Having Mona around to translate the bits that you don't really helps. *hugs Mona* Thanks!

A tempest is brewing. Can't wait to see how this erupts.

-smarmoofus

Akelamalu said...

Sounds like she means business!:)

Mojo said...

@smoofus: Having Mona around to make sure I translate things right when I'm writing them is priceless! None of my Indian co-workers are native Hindi speakers (though they all learned it in school) and the Hindi they speak in south India is very different from what you hear in the northern part of the country.

And yes, she's feisty... now. I've almost got a complete picture of "who she is" now, but sometimes she surprises even me.

For sure, you are not going to want to trifle with her in future!

SignGurl said...

Your character speaks volumes to the world. I want to be like her.

I'm up here

Queenie said...

O I so want to be like her, I wait in anticipation to see where this is going.......

Polt said...

Ooo, neat! I came into this story in the middle, now i shall have read back through your blog to find the previous installments!

What a great idea...55 Friday story in installments! :)

HUGS...

Mojo said...

@polt: You only missed the first episode, and it's linked at the bottom of this one.

If you want to read the quintessential "Serial 55" go visit Snowelf. She's got a ripping good yarn going up there in the Great White North.

tiff said...

Oh man - she's pissed. Awesome!

S said...

Ooh well done...in the spirit of your 55 and to spunky Indian ladies the world over I will share one of my past 55's.....

For what felt like the millionth time, Shaku knelt before husband and set the tea tray on the table. Eyes lowered, she served him the plate of sweets. "Mysore Pak!", he squealed delightedly, and while he was completely distracted by this luscious treat, Shaku slipped the poison powder from her saree and into husbands chai.

Mojo said...

@susieji: Man, your heroine is cold! But something tells me he needed killin'...

S said...

He deserved it!:P

Donnetta said...

Ooooo. Good one! Lop it off!
Donnetta

Shrinky said...

My kinda' gal!