Friday, October 23, 2009

Thematic Photographic 72: "Junk" v.3.0 - Forerunner (Not 4-Runner)


"Land Cruiser"
Jacksonville, NC - December 2008 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

Now this I recognize (you might too, I've featured it here before). This is a 70's-vintage Toyota Land Cruiser (or it used to be anyway). The Land Cruiser was the forerunner of the newer FJ Cruiser, and to a degree I suppose it was the forbear of the 4-Runner compact SUV of not so long ago. (Are those still in production? You don't hear about them anymore.) This particular Land Cruiser apparently had a career as a surf fisherman's steed, judging from the rod rack on the front bumper. Judging from the copious amount of rust on its sheet metal, I'd further guess that it had a long and illustrious career in that capacity.
Stumble This!

1 comment:

carmilevy said...

Ooh, that's so sad. These vehicles remind me of the old Jeep CJ, the Land Rover Defender...all vehicles that could go to hell and back.

The 4Runner is still in production (http://www.toyota.com/4runner/) but I doubt it'll lead anything near the kind of life that this beloved old workhorse did. Pity that.

I've missed so much of your work, and I so need to catch up. I'm still wrestling with life-balance issues, and I've found it easier this week to be a turtle and simply hide in my shell. I know, not the best way to cope, but there's always next week.

Photos like this will inspire me to poke my head out a little more. Color and texture tell such a rich story...how could I miss something like this?