Thursday, November 05, 2009

Thematic Photographic 74: "Red" v.2.0 - Red Healy


"Austin Healy 3000 (model year unknown)"
Raleigh, NC - May 2009 (Click to embiggen)

Thematic Photographic hosted by Carmi - Button Image by Smarmoofus Hosted by Written Inc.

Between editing the photos from a shoot I did yesterday for and trying to get the last editing done on my BlogBlast for Peace post I sort of forgot that I didn't have Thematic v. 74.2 done yet. Fortunately, the car show I attended last May had a host of bright red vintage British sports cars including this Austin Healy 3000. Not that it really needed it, but it appeared that one owner or another of this particular specimen had made a few alterations to the original along the way. The most apparent changes were the fender flares that covered the wider-than-stock tires. Not being fluent in Austin Healy engine compartments, I couldn't tell if there had been mods to the power plant (though the air induction system didn't look stock), but the top and interior appeared to be aftermarket/custom as well. I've always been torn when it comes to customizing a car like this. There just seems something inherently wrong about it. But there's no question that this was still a pristine automobile. And no question about its redness either.
Stumble This!

6 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Nice to glimpse you there in the chrome working your magic.

ArtistUnplugged said...

Nice view, what a red beauty!

Shadow said...

red and chrome is ALWAYS a winner.

Maude Lynn said...

I'm torn about customization, too, but if someone offered her to me, I'd somehow overcome my misgivings!

Gorgeous shot!

PastormacsAnn said...

Agree with Mama Zen. Don't think I could turn a beauty like this down.

Wonderful picture for Carmi's Red theme.

carmilevy said...

The color speaks to my soul. It's about as red as red can be...the happiest of shades.

I'm often on the fence when it comes to mods like this as well. I get the need to be an individual and to have unique forms of self expression. It's why someone buys a car - even bone stock - like this in the first place.

But sometimes, mods go so far over the top that you have to wonder if the resulting machine is remotely close to the intentions of the original designer. Like the Fiero that looks like a Ferrari...

Either way, this photo deserves its own frame on its own wall in its own museum. Modded or not, it's visual art at its finest. No surprise given who we're talking about, but I needed to say it anyway.